tradindexed - Interrupted system call

Nicholas Geovanis nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Wed Jan 3 20:50:26 UTC 2001

On 3 Jan 2001, Bettina Fink wrote:

> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Well, if we want to provide an xopen wrapper, that's not *too* bad (the
> > storage API and overview system don't all use xwrite yet and should), if
> > it's really necessary.  But given the amount of mmaping that INN does, I'm
> > surprised it works on NFS at all.
>
> It works even very well. The only thing is that under high load (> 500
> concurrent readers) I'm getting that "tradindexed: could not open
> /news/overview/[...].IDX|.DAT: Interrupted system call" resulting in
> "SERVER cant store overview for @...@" stuff now and then. System is,
> as I said, a SUN with Solaris 8, everything below ~/spool on a NetApp
> (NFS Filer).

Just a thought (I don't spool articles on NFS, Gott seid dank....:-):

Could this just be a symptom of "normal" NFS behavior under heavy
load: Lack of NFS processes relative to the queue of requests? Assuming
that the overview itself is not on NFS, perhaps system calls for overview
IO are being interrupted by timeout of open() on spooled articles??
Only a guess...

> Bye,
> Bettina

* Nick Geovanis        The data were not anything that would lead anybody