Double "(Moderated)"

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jan 17 19:27:25 UTC 2001

Bettina Fink <laura at hydrophil.de> writes:

> I have several of those "doubles" in the newsgroups file, not only in
> that hierarchy. The newgroup message(*) looks ok at first glance. The
> particular machine is an INN 2.3.1 with controlchan, automatic group
> creation via pgpverify checks. The above group was automatically created
> some hours ago.

I suspect this code:

      if ($ngdesc) {
        $ngdesc =~ s/\s+(moderated)$//i;
        $ngdesc .= " (Moderated)" if $modflag eq "moderated";
      }

Bet the description had trailing whitespace.

> mh, wait, I just checked an old 1.5.1 machine (no controlchan,
> automatic group creation via pgpverify checks):

> [...]
> bionet.software	Information about software for biology. (Moderated) (Moderated)
> fj.archives.documents	Repository for documents. (Moderated) (Moderated)
> [...]

> So if it's a bug, it's a very old one. :-)

The old shell script has a different problem; it always adds an extra
(Moderated) when a group is converted from unmoderated to moderated.