readers.conf, ckpasswd on obsd

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jan 22 02:05:10 UTC 2001

Sorry about the delay in responding to this message.  In case you're still
having trouble with this and never got an answer....

Felix Kronlage <felix at mad.hazardous.org> writes:

> Somehow I have some problems with authenticating users via readers.conf
> and ckpasswd.

> Do I understand it correct that ckpasswd uses the system-passwd file to
> authenticate the users?

Yes.

> I've already set ckpasswd +s (read a few days ago on this list), trying
> out authenticating (telneting to the nnrpd) I always get "auth_err
> ckpasswd: user fkr password doesn't match."

> |auth "passwords" {
> |       hosts:  "*"
> |       key:    "pwd"
> |       auth:   "ckpasswd"
> |       }

What operating system are you using?  I'm not sure ckpasswd works
correctly with things like MD5 passwords.

> This is what I use....I've tried "ckpasswd -s", but...

> |auth_err ckpasswd: illegal option -- s

This indicates that your system doesn't have getspnam available.
Different operating systems handle shadow passwords in different ways;
this may be normal for your system.