Outstanding history items

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Jul 16 11:21:44 UTC 2001

Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> writes:

> I wanted to always build a separate tagged hash implementation, but I'd
> like it to be usable with large files enabled, unless there's good
> technical reasons why not (which doesn't really appear to be the case
> AFAICT).

My recommendation would be to not store off_t into the hashes for the
tagged hash implementation.  Instead, store some explicitly sized entity
like uint32_t or whatever it expects, and always copy off_t into a
variable of that type when storing.  If off_t > the size limit of that
variable, check for that case and complain loudly.

I think that takes care of the issue without having to undef symbols or
anything, and it's cleaner than what I understand of what's happening now.
Somewhat more work, though.