make history problem

Katsuhiro Kondou Katsuhiro_Kondou at isc.org
Thu Jul 19 06:10:55 UTC 2001

In article <m3r8ve6qur.fsf at ccs.covici.com>,
	John Covici <covici at ccs.covici.com> wrote;

} Just was wondering if you have made any progress to fix the problem
} where if I use tradindexed for my overview files I get messages  like
} this:
}
} Jul 16 00:25:22 ccs makehistory[9655]: tradindexed: packgroup cant write to /var/spool/news/spool/overview/t/p/g/talk.politics.guns-NEW.IDX: Bad address

Looks like index file grows extremly.  This is due to big gap
of article number.  There are some methods to fix this problem:

1. tradindexed has a potential problem.  It always reserves
   room of indices for all articles between hi/lo regardless
   of thier existense.
   buffindexed and probably ovdb don't have this problem.

2. In case you don't want to change ovmethod other than
   tradindexed.
   If there is a big gap of article number between existing
   articles, you need to trash them so that tradindexed will
   not keep room for all indices.
   And note that pathoverview/group.index needs to be deleted
   before recreation.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou