Valid Message-Id: tagged as bad?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Jul 21 06:05:57 UTC 2001

Christopher P Lindsey <isc.org at spamfodder.com> writes:

>    I setup innd tonight and started pushing some mailing lists into
>    one of my test newsgroups via mailpost.

>    Unfortunately, one of my messages was rejected almost immediately
>    by inews because it supposedly had an invalid Message-Id: header.

>    The offending header is

>    It appears that the subroutine ARTidok() in innd/art.c tags
>    message-ids that have a trailing '.' in the domain portion of the
>    addr-spec as invalid.

Yup.

>    After reading through RFC822[1] again, I get the impression that a
>    trailing '.' is fine -- it matches the dtext type, which is a valid
>    portion of the domain.

Nope, it's not.  dtext is only allowed inside domain literals, which have
to be surrounded by [].  Check the grammar again.  (And domain literals
are disallowed by RFC 1036, which requires fully-qualified domain names,
not that anyone enforces that.)

A trailing '.' is definitely invalid per RFC 822.

     msg-id      =  "<" addr-spec ">"            ; Unique message id
     addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address
     domain      =  sub-domain *("." sub-domain)
     sub-domain  =  domain-ref / domain-literal
     domain-literal =  "[" *(dtext / quoted-pair) "]"
     domain-ref  =  atom                         ; symbolic reference
     atom        =  1*<any CHAR except specials, SPACE and CTLs>
     specials    =  "(" / ")" / "<" / ">" / "@"  ; Must be in quoted-
                 /  "." / "[" / "]"              ;  within a word.