gpgverify in

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Mar 5 06:24:34 UTC 2001

I've committed gpgverify to both CURRENT and STABLE; it shouldn't hurt
anything in STABLE since nothing's set up to run it by default.  The same
is currently also true for CURRENT.

For CURRENT, what I think would work would be to replace pgpgpg in
configure with gpg and then have controlchan look at the path to PGP and
run either gpgverify or pgpverify based on the last component of the
path.  If anyone has a better idea, let me know.

I commented out the line setting $gpghome to '/etc/news/pgp' since that
won't work for systems that don't use an FHS-compliant structure and since
this way it reverts to GnuPG's default directory which is the same as
pgpverify does at present, but I think that it's a good idea to not always
use that default (since it depends on the home directory of the news
user).  The problem with just picking some other directory (and any of
pathetc/pgp, pathlib/pgp, or pathdb/pgp sounds reasonable to me) is that
it's slightly tricky to tell people how to load a new PGP key.  Maybe we
should provide a simple little script that given a PGP key, passes the
right flags to the detected PGP program to load it into the key ring?