Banner question

Bettina Fink laura at hydrophil.de
Fri Mar 23 13:28:35 UTC 2001

Olaf Titz <olaf at bigred.inka.de> wrote:

>> Is there a possibility that nnrpd shows up with "201" first for
>> the authorization candidates?
>
> I'm sure there are some clients who take this seriously and break on such a
> change.

mh, I have an INN 2.2.3 with such a setup:

| 201 [Server] InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2.3 [...] ready (no posting).
| post
| 480 Authentication required for command
| list
| 480 Authentication required for command

This server has a lot of different readers, it's a semi-open server for
the hierarchy hamster.* (world-wide read and post access to hamster.*
with a generic user/pass). I never experienced any problems.

But that's an 2.2.3 (nnrp.access), where such a setup is trivial, but
I don't know how to get the same behaviour with a 2.3x (readers.conf).

Bye,
Bettina