"simple" problem with post-access in nnrpd_auth.pl

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Nov 18 21:57:33 UTC 2001

Marcel Bruch <bruch.m at dni.de> writes:

> This one works "fine" - local & remote users can post,read in
> $defaultgroups like expected:

> sub auth_init {
>     # NO INIT
> }

> sub authenticate {
>  return ($authcodes{'allowed'}, 1,1, $defaultgroups,undef);
> }

Well, this is returning bogus codes to the client, since this is returning
a code of 281 to the user on initial connection when it's required to be
either 200 or 201.

But that aside...

> sub authenticate {
> # return ($authcodes{'allowed'}, 1,1, $defaultgroups,undef);

>     if ($attributes{type} eq "connect") {
>         return ($connectcodes{'authneeded'}, undef, undef, undef, undef);
>     } elsif ($attributes{type} eq "authenticate") {
>         return ($authcodes{'allowed'}, 1,1, $defaultgroups,undef);
>     } elsif ($attributes{type} eq "disconnect") {
>     }
>     return (502,undef,undef,undef,undef);
> }

...this seems reasonable, although I don't know what the value of
$defaultgroups is.  But you can't debug this with a client.  Telnet to
port 119 of the news server and run through an attempt to read an article
in a group and save a transcript of the whole session.  That will let us
figure out exactly what's going on.