cnfs buffer won't initialize.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Sep 29 04:42:54 UTC 2001

jarrell <jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu> writes:

> Ok, I have a block of identical 36.4G 10K rpm drives on my machine.  I
> just added 2 new ones, and was trying to add them into the cycbuff
> config.  Now, one's being used to expand the partition the overview data
> is in, because space there was getting tight.  The other is joining its
> fellow drives in the cycbuff pool.  Each of these drives has an
> identical partition table, and is set up identically.  The new drive,
> c5t1d0 works fine (after I started having problems, I created a
> filesystem in the suspect partition, and it mounted and filled with data
> just fine.)

At this point, I don't have a good suggestion other than maybe that
particular bit of the disk is bad and the file system didn't pick it up.
Have you tried doing a low-level format of the disk from inside format,
with block testing turned on?

I can't think of anything else that could cause the symptoms that you're
seeing.