cnfs buffer won't initialize.

Ron Jarrell jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu
Sun Sep 30 04:51:36 UTC 2001

At 09:42 PM 9/28/01 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>jarrell <jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu> writes:
>
>> Ok, I have a block of identical 36.4G 10K rpm drives on my machine.  I
>> just added 2 new ones, and was trying to add them into the cycbuff
>> config.  Now, one's being used to expand the partition the overview data
>> is in, because space there was getting tight.  The other is joining its
>> fellow drives in the cycbuff pool.  Each of these drives has an
>> identical partition table, and is set up identically.  The new drive,
>> c5t1d0 works fine (after I started having problems, I created a
>> filesystem in the suspect partition, and it mounted and filled with data
>> just fine.)
>
>At this point, I don't have a good suggestion other than maybe that
>particular bit of the disk is bad and the file system didn't pick it up.
>Have you tried doing a low-level format of the disk from inside format,
>with block testing turned on?
>
>I can't think of anything else that could cause the symptoms that you're
>seeing.

I'll give that a try.  Can't hurt I guess.   Although I did try doing a dd from
an initialized cycbuff to the one that won't initialize, and the data wrote
fine.  That time, INN saw it as initialized, and bitched about the fact
that d5-1-6 had d5-0-6's cycbuff label in it.  dd /dev/zero to it, and
start again, and we're back to the write error!