Auth/Access Question

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Aug 20 01:13:32 UTC 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, David R. Fischer wrote:

> to hold all the users in one database with the current access system
> looks like this will not work since the auth system does not go one step
> further and work with the GID of the users.  If the Gid was users as the
> group auth system then I could build ACL around the different groups.

Ahh.

I have three thoughts:

- What if we add a flag to `ckpasswd [-s]` to, instead of returning an
  identity of "user", return "user at group"?  I don't see any problems
  offhand working that nicely into the readers.conf model, actually,
  although I haven't thought hard.  Other people's thoughts on this?

- You could certainly do the entire thing in a Perl auth script, which
  is potentially the easiest solution for you (if you know Perl, or I
  guess Python).  I haven't done this, but it seems like it ought to
  be a very straightforward script.

- If you're running CURRENT, you could use readers.conf plus the Erik's
  new perl_access: stuff to do something similar to the above but with
  a bit less effort on your part.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org