Auth/Access Question

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Tue Aug 20 23:31:41 UTC 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, David R. Fischer wrote:

> Ok. So I need to hack ckpasswd to allow multi groups?

You could.  However, I don't think there's any good way to fit multiple
groups in the readers.conf model.  You don't want to return a list of the
groups (because readers.conf isn't set up to deal with that), and the only
other thing would be to pass in a list of acceptable groups on the
commandline (but that seems contrived).

I really think the best thing for you would be to use the Perl or Python
hooks.  Using the perl_access: feature in CURRENT, what you desire should
be very easy.

> Also is there a CVS server I can pull the newest releases from??

Some people do CVSup, although I don't know the details.  You can get
nightly snapshots from ftp.isc.org, though, will that do?

> Another question have is where system call out to the "auth: ckpasswd"
> located in the nnrpd ( would this be in the perm.c or some where else??).

Ok, I think you're very confused.  You *definitely* don't want to be
changing nnrpd for this.  It's not worth your time.  And I don't know if
this is something we'd integrate into the main tree, which means you'd
have to maintain it through future changes to nnrpd.  You could do it by
changing ckpasswd, if you really wanted.  I do think the cleanest,
simplest, and easiest thing would be to use the hooks.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org