Auth/Access Question

David R. Fischer fischerdr at softhome.net
Tue Aug 20 23:51:12 UTC 2002

> You could.  However, I don't think there's any good way to fit multiple
> groups in the readers.conf model.  You don't want to return a list of the
> groups (because readers.conf isn't set up to deal with that), and the only
> other thing would be to pass in a list of acceptable groups on the
> commandline (but that seems contrived).
>
> I really think the best thing for you would be to use the Perl or Python
> hooks.  Using the perl_access: feature in CURRENT, what you desire should
> be very easy.

OK I guess this would be the fastest.

> Some people do CVSup, although I don't know the details.  You can get
> nightly snapshots from ftp.isc.org, though, will that do?

Only asking because I want to make sure of current updates instead of
nightlys

> Ok, I think you're very confused.  You *definitely* don't want to be
> changing nnrpd for this.  It's not worth your time.  And I don't know if
> this is something we'd integrate into the main tree, which means you'd
> have to maintain it through future changes to nnrpd.  You could do it by
> changing ckpasswd, if you really wanted.  I do think the cleanest,
> simplest, and easiest thing would be to use the hooks.
The reason I was heading down this path is other news servers have this
feature built-in (i.e users in multi-groups allowing certain access
priv).  But feel that INND is the best one for the job, also prefer unix
enviroment.

I would like to say thanks for the help and information that everyone
has provided..

Thanks
David R. Fischer