Idea for article filter in storage.conf

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Fri Jun 7 16:22:31 UTC 2002

We're currently using cleanfeed to enforce our policy on binary vs.
text retention, but it's a pretty blunt instrument.

A thought I had (whilst in the shower this morning actually), how
about if I changed storage.conf so you could say:

method cnfs {
      newsgroups: *
      perl_filter: binary-filter.pl
      class: 1
}
method cnfs {
      newsgroups: *
      class: 2
}

Where binary-filter.pl (actually I haven't thought very hard about the
actual mechanics yet) then returns yes/no so you can store stuff in a
CNFS can based on its content.

Does it sound generally useful, utterly stupid, etc?

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc