Idea for article filter in storage.conf

Alex Kiernan alexk at demon.net
Mon Jun 10 13:51:41 UTC 2002

"Marco d'Itri" <md at Linux.IT> writes:

> On Jun 07, Alex Kiernan <alexk at demon.net> wrote:
>
>  >We're currently using cleanfeed to enforce our policy on binary vs.
>  >text retention, but it's a pretty blunt instrument.
> What would you like it to do?

Exactly what it does :)

Sorry I didn't put my original statement too well - its more that
cleanfeed is in the wrong place in the article flow to do what we
want.

>  >Does it sound generally useful, utterly stupid, etc?
> Look at diablo, there is some built in code to classify articles.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

> I think it's only useful if you want to accept binary articles outside
> of the generally accepted binary hierarchies, which are few enoughs that
> I think they may be comfortably added to one or more storage.conf
> entries.
> OTOH, something which could classify multipart articles would be *very*
> useful. I think it could be easily done by cleanfeed, and results could
> be passed back to INN in a magic variable (maybe a hash where the keys
> for relevant options are set to true).

General article classification was the kind of thing I was thinking of
rather than binaries specifically.

> While you are poking at the perl interface I have a feature request:
> I need to silently discard articles so that nnrpd still reports success
> to the user (and maybe without adding the Message-ID to the history so I
> can manually inject them if appropriate).
> I know that the nnrpd perl filter can do it, but I do not want to run a
> perl interpreter in each nnrpd.

Not sure I follow - is this at article injection time?

--
Alex Kiernan, Principal Engineer, Development, THUS plc