Another newbie question, innfeed.....

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Mar 17 05:41:44 UTC 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Rob Morin wrote:

> -rw-rw-r--   1 news  news         0 Mar 14 03:00 news.crit
> -rw-rw-r--   1 news  news         0 Mar 14 03:00 news.err
> -rw-rw-r--   1 news  news         0 Mar 14 03:00 news.notice

Let's start by getting this fixed, so that if there are any log messages
we can see them, eh?

You want to find the "INSTALL" file which came with INN and read the
section about /etc/syslog.conf -- there's some misconfiguration there, I
think.

> Is this true or do the posts go out as needed/posted???

NNTP is most definitely a "push" protocol.  With innfeed, your posts
should go out in a matter of seconds.

> A user here on this inn mailing list said if you can telnet to
> sherry.on.tac.net(my news feed provider) at port 119 it should accept
> my outgoing posts.....

That's not entirely true -- to use innfeed to send out posts, you need to
have a proper peering setup worked out (although it sounds like you do).
If you telnet to 119 of your provider and say "ihave" what happens?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org