patches to fix bindaddress (for IPv6) in innfeed

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Thu Mar 28 18:09:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Matus \fantomas\ Uhlar wrote:
>
> > -> Ok, here's an attempt to add meager documentation for bindaddress6 to the
> >
> > does this work with DNS names?
>
> Hmm, actually, it might.  IPv4 bindaddress doesn't (it never has, see the
> manpage).  IPv6 bindaddress6 uses getaddrinfo() which at a glance looks
> like it does name resolutions.

Uh, I never tested it that way, but if it works - coool!  :)

Still, I think the main purpose of both bindaddress and bindaddress6 in
innfeed is to force the connection to be from a specific address.

My particular use for bindaddress6 is to prevent innfeed from choosing the
auto-configured IPv6 address since that could change depending on what
ethernet board/interface happens to be installed in the server.  The
auto-configured IPv6 address may not even reverse-map to a hostname and
that might cause connections to a receiver to be rejected depending on how
the receiver identifies the sender.