Installing Inn on a Linux system

Nicholas Geovanis nickgeo at merle.acns.nwu.edu
Thu May 23 21:57:25 UTC 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Lisa Ungar wrote:

> I tried running the make command and got the following message:
> gcc   -o innd art.o cc.o chan.o his.o icd.o innd.o lc.o nc.o newsfeeds.o
>               ng.o perl.o proc.o python.o rc.o site.o status.o tcl.o
>               timer.o wip.o ../storage/libstorage.a ../lib/libinn.a
>               ../lib/perl.o -rdynamic  -L/usr/local/lib
>               /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/s390-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
>               -L/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/s390-linux/CORE -lperl -lnsl -ldl -lm
>               -lc  -lelf -lresolv -lcrypt /usr/s390-suse-linux/bin/ld:
>               cannot find -lelf
>
> Does anyone know what the above means?

Are you actually building inn on or for S/390 Linux?
I'm not certain, but I don't think that ELF binaries are supported on
S/390 Linux.....Ooops, I'm wrong. But it looks like there's a special ABI
for ELF binaries on S/390 Linux, so perhaps you need to install something
extra or add an extra directory in the "-L" compiler option. Your employer
has a white paper about ELF on S/390 Linux at
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/os/linux/pdf/l390abi0.pdf

Now I'm curious, is anyone out there running inn on S/390? With the right
hardware, we'd only need one server for the entire planet ;-)

> Lisa

* Nick Geovanis              "The nuclear bomb. Does that bother you?