wildmat

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu May 30 19:58:12 UTC 2002

Forrest J Cavalier <mibsoft at epix.net> writes:

> All of us here still owe you a few favors, I think.

Absolutely.  :)

> But it would helpful to know what you think about:

> 1. wildmat.c in INN 2.3.0 is substantially the same as in INN 1.5.1.
>    (But your objection is for the utf8 version, I would guess.)
>    Is there something that is not backwards compatible?  Would
>    it be acceptable to clearly note that it was basically rewritten
>    for utf8 and that you are not responsible?

Note BTW that it *does* mostly say that, although I can make it clearer:

**  July, 2000:  Largely rewritten by Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> to add
**  support for ',', '!', and optionally '@' to the core wildmat routine.
**  Broke the character class matching into a separate function for clarity
**  since it's infrequently used in practice, and added some simple lookahead
**  to significantly decrease the recursive calls in the '*' matching code.
**  Added support for UTF-8 as the default character set for any high-bit
**  characters.

> 2. WILDMAT is a term that is used in the IETF NNTP working group,
>    and the draft includes the utf8 functionality.
>    Do you object to that usage?

And is it particularly the UTF-8 part that you object to or the support
for ',', '!', and '@'?  If the latter, would it be better if
wildmat_simple were renamed to wildmat and wildmat that supports
comma-separated patterns changed to something else?

> 3. What parts of INN should still retain your name as copyright
>    holder?

>    A lot of what is in current and recent versions of INN are not close
>    to what you created, but include copyright notices mentioning you
>    because they have your original work as ancestor.

>    For example, some of the man pages like inn.conf were almost
>    completely rewritten, but still list you as copyright holder.

Well, sort of:

     Written by Rich $alz <rsalz at uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews and since
     modified, updated, and reorganized by innumerable other people.

I intentionally avoided putting actual copyright notices on things, just
attribution to the original author.

BTW, the current INN license is as follows:

INN as a whole and all code contained in it not otherwise marked with
different licenses and/or copyrights is covered by the following copyright
and license:

   Copyright (c) 1991, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
       The Internet Software Consortium and Rich Salz

   This code is derived from software contributed to the Internet Software
   Consortium by Rich Salz

   modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
   are met:
   1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
      notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
   2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
      documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
   3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
      must display the following acknowledgement:
      This product includes software developed by the Internet Software
        Consortium and its contributors.
   4. Neither the name of the Internet Software Consortium nor the names
      of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
      from this software without specific prior written permission.

   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE INTERNET SOFTWARE CONSORTIUM AND
   CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING,
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS
   FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL THE INTERNET
   SOFTWARE CONSORTIUM OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT,
   INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT
   NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE,
   DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY
   THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT
   (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF
   THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Some specific portions of INN are covered by different licenses, usually
more permissive ones.  Those licenses, if present, will be noted
prominantly at the top of those source files.  Specifically (but possibly
not comprehensively):

   authprogs/pwcheck.c may only be used for non-commercial purposes and by
   Internet Service Providers and other entities for internal purposes.
   See the beginning of the file for full details.

   authprogs/smbval/* and control/perl-nocem.in are under the GNU General
   Public License.  See doc/GPL for a copy of this license.

   backends/shrinkfile.c, frontends/scanspool.in, lib/concat.c,
   lib/hstrerror.c, lib/inet_aton.c, lib/inet_ntoa.c, lib/memcmp.c,
   lib/parsedate.y, lib/pread.c, lib/pwrite.c, lib/setenv.c, lib/seteuid.c,
   and lib/strerror.c are in the public domain.

   control/gpgverify.in, control/pgpverify.in and control/signcontrol.in
   are under a license very similar to the above but with UUNET
   Technologies, Inc. as the copyright holder.  See the end of those files
   for details.

   control/controlchan.in and control/modules/*.pl are covered by only the
   first two license points of the license above; points 3 and 4 do not
   apply to them.  See the beginning of those files for details.

   lib/strcasecmp.c, lib/strspn.c, and lib/strtok.c are taken from BSD
   sources and are covered by the standard BSD license.  See those files
   for more details.

   lib/md5.c is covered under the standard free MD5 license from RSA Data
   Security.  See the file for more details.

   libhist/his.c and libhist/hisv6/hisv6.c are under a license very
   similar to the new BSD license but with Thus plc as the copyright
   holder.  See those files for details.

   tests/runtests.c is covered under a license very similar to the MIT/X
   Consortium license (less restrictive than INN's licese).  See the
   beginning of the file for details.

Note that all portions of INN that link with core INN code have to be
convered by licenses compatible with the license at the top of this file.
Some portions of this distribution are covered by incompatible licenses,
but all of that code is completely stand-alone and compiles into a
separate executable.  (This is why it's permissable to distribute some
programs covered by the GPL as part of this distribution; they compile to
stand-alone executables or are stand-alone scripts and therefore fall
under the "mere aggregation" clause of the GPL.)

Please note that the files in the contrib directory are not properly part
of INN and may be under widely varying licenses.  Please each file and/or
its documentation for license information.