lost spool

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Sep 13 21:12:06 UTC 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Matus fantomas Uhlar wrote:

> No, articles is the only thing I've lost. However, i think it is
> technically possible to ask peers for re-feeding spool (or at least articles
> they use to send to me) and my innd would check for existing location and

Ohhhh.  You still have history and overview.

Wow.

In principle you can recover from that, I think.  Hmm.  I don't think you
can do it on-the-fly within INN, but you can probably do it in two steps.
How many articles (or megabytes) are we talking about here?

In principle (at least for a small number of articles), I think I would try:
- get all of the articles to local disk, one per file
- write a bit of Perl to patch up the Xref in each file, from overview data
- wipe your history, overview, and active (keeping a backup, of course)
- turn on xrefslave in inn.conf
- feed the articles from local disk (with innxmit or whatever)

Anybody else want to comment on the feasibility of this?

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org