expireover hangs during news.daily

Panagiotis Christias P.Christias at noc.ntua.gr
Fri Aug 29 16:05:38 UTC 2003

Hello,

we recently upgraded our news server to version 2.4.0 using cycbuffs
and ovdb with BerkeleyDB 3.3.11 on a FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE (20030410)
system. We did a clean installation using only the old cycbuffs and
generated from scratch the history and overview files.

INN 2.4.0 was running smoothly for about 2 weeks when a night during
the news.daily the expireover process hung along with innd. There
were no helpful entries in the log file. We had to "rc.news stop" the
ovdb_* processes, "kill -1" the expireover processes and "kill -9"
the innd. Then we restarted successfully the inn and run the
news.daily by hand ("news.daily expireover lowmark") without problem.
The news server kept running smoothly for a week or so. The same
thing happened again tonight and the night before.

Trying to find a way out, we are thinking to upgrade to the latest
inn-stable, or to BerkeleyDB 4.0/4.1, or even switch to buffindexed.

Do you have any suggestion or remedy for this problem?

Thank you in advance,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis J. Christias    Network Management Center
P.Christias at noc.ntua.gr    National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE