Changing default from address?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Dec 9 03:30:30 UTC 2003

Daniel Henninger <daniel at unity.ncsu.edu> writes:

> Some of my users are complaining that, in the older install of our news
> server, that their address as it shows up in posts came out to be only
> the domain (for example: unity.ncsu.edu) whereas nowadays it shows up as
> the full hostname (eg: ghidora.unity.ncsu.edu).  I don't see anything in
> the config to tell innd to for the email domain to be unity.ncsu.edu.
> Am I just missing something?  (for example, my address should be
> daniel at unity.ncsu.edu, not daniel at ghidora.unity.ncsu.edu)

INN itself doesn't provide the From header; this is something that's done
by the client.  If the client uses INN's inews and relies on it to
generate the From header, it may be out of luck, but there are other inews
programs out there that have support for various ways of configuring the
domain name.  And most news clients that I know of these days have ways of
configuring this in the client.