Removing article from several newsgroups

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Fri Dec 12 17:35:27 UTC 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Kathryn Hemness wrote:

> I am fairly new at usenet administration and have never had to deal
> with removing an article crossposted to several newsgroups.
> Is there a way that I can remove this article from all of the
> newsgroups and be rid of it completely or has it already been
> propagated to the extent that it requires removal by the actual
> newsgroup moderators/maintainers?

Cross-posted (many groups in the Newsgroups: header), or multi-posted
(many copies, each with a different Newsgroups: header)?

If it's cross-posted, canceling it is no different than canceling any
other article.  But if what you're concerned about is something posted to
public usenet, then yeah, it's too late.  You could send cancel messages,
but all sites will honor them, and anyway if it's serious spam one of the
automated cancel bots will have already done that for you.

So instead of worrying about that, focus on whatever administrative and/or
technical solutions you need to prevent (or quickly respond to) future
incidents of this type.  For example, you might look into user education
and changes in AUP, or installing cleanfeed and configuring INN's
exponential backoff features.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org