Removing article from several newsgroups

Kathryn Hemness kfhemness at ucdavis.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:15:28 UTC 2003

Greetings --

The host's NAM has been blocked by the campus network folks
and the Student Judicial Affairs office will be dealing
with the student.

It looks like the message was a multi-posted article.
The campus computer abuse folks referred to the article as
"spamming usenet with illegal money making scheme".

I have a list of Message-IDs but have never sent a control message,
let alone a control cancel message (that's how new I am).

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:35:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jeffrey M. Vinocur <jeff at litech.org>
> To: Kathryn Hemness <kfhemness at ucdavis.edu>
> Cc: inn-workers list <inn-workers at isc.org>
> Subject: Re: Removing article from several newsgroups
>
> On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Kathryn Hemness wrote:
>
> > I am fairly new at usenet administration and have never had to deal
> > with removing an article crossposted to several newsgroups.
> > Is there a way that I can remove this article from all of the
> > newsgroups and be rid of it completely or has it already been
> > propagated to the extent that it requires removal by the actual
> > newsgroup moderators/maintainers?
>
> Cross-posted (many groups in the Newsgroups: header), or multi-posted
> (many copies, each with a different Newsgroups: header)?
>
> If it's cross-posted, canceling it is no different than canceling any
> other article.  But if what you're concerned about is something posted to
> public usenet, then yeah, it's too late.  You could send cancel messages,
> but all sites will honor them, and anyway if it's serious spam one of the
> automated cancel bots will have already done that for you.
>
> So instead of worrying about that, focus on whatever administrative and/or
> technical solutions you need to prevent (or quickly respond to) future
> incidents of this type.  For example, you might look into user education
> and changes in AUP, or installing cleanfeed and configuring INN's
> exponential backoff features.
>

> --
> Jeffrey M. Vinocur
> jeff at litech.org