current-20031215 makehistory takes forever...

Ron Jarrell jarrell at solaris.cc.vt.edu
Tue Dec 16 08:29:11 UTC 2003

Disk problems munged my ovdb, so I ended up blowing it away and
rebuilding.  I took the opportunity to upgrade from 2.4.0 final to
20031215 current... I did what I do every time, wipe things, run
ovdb_init, and then do a
makehistory -b -f history.n -O -l 30000 -I

It's running... But after 15 hours, based on the sizes of the old
history file, it's less than half done.  It normally takes about 7-8
hours.  And I don't think there's enough data in the overview files
yet.

It's cranking along at a steady pace, but a *slow* steady pace.  I trussed it
for a while, and it looks like it opens a cycbuff, seeks, reads a bit,
closes the cycbuff, then repeats the cycle.  Even if it's the same cycbuff!
Is this normal?

I just hope to heck I don't have to do this again within the next year,
I'm soon going to be at 24 hours of downtime, with lots of unhappy people.