Authentication

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 1 23:01:07 UTC 2003

Owen Jacobson <ojacobson.innd at mx-deus.net> writes:

> I'm trying to set up a news server with a public tree but otherwise
> private, using /etc/shadow for authentication.  The public tree works,
> but I cannot get access to the other groups on the system even by
> providing a valid username and password.

> readers.conf:
> auth "ue-staff" {
>  hosts: *
>  auth: "ckpasswd -s"
>  default: "<ue-staff>"
> }

> auth "world" {
>  hosts: *
>  default: "<world>"
> }

> access "ue-groups" {
>  users: "<ue-staff>@*"
>  newsgroups: "ue.*"
>  access: "RP"
> }

Since there is no default-domain: key in the ue-staff auth group, the
identity will just be <ue-staff>, not <ue-staff>@something.  So change the
users: key in ue-groups to just:

    users: "<ue-staff>"

> access "all" {
>  users: "*"
>  newsgroups: "ue.pub.*"
>  access: "RP"
> }

The last matching access group applies, so you want to move this access
group up above the ue-groups access group.