news.daily after crash

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 15 20:57:06 UTC 2003

Artur Iwaniuk <A.Iwaniuk at elka.pw.edu.pl> writes:

> i have a litle problem with news.daily. but first, i describe situation:
> sometimes happens - power off, and news server crashes.

CURRENT, what will become INN 2.4.0, should handle this considerably
better than earlier verisons of INN.

> i have some scripts, that quickly syncing active file, with this what is
> actualy in spool dir, removes overview database(tradindex), and exec
> command:

>   makehistory -b -O -e -l 100000 -F

> and this work fine. but problem begins with daily running news.daily
> script. parameters to this scipt are: expireover lowmark delayrm after
> that exec, active's LO field contain number, way to big. overview
> database is cut off too. so in news reader, there is way to few articles
> that were before crash.

That sounds like, for whatever reason, expireover doesn't believe those
articles actually exist.  The most common cause for this is that they're
not mentioned in history.  Are all of the articles still mentioned in the
history database after you rebuild overview as above?

> the strangest thing is that spool directory contain all those missing in
> overview articles, so i am sure that expire do nothing wrong.

No, what's going wrong is expireover, not expire.  Expire removes articles
from the history file if they're not present on the spool, and expireover
removes from the overview any article that isn't mentioned in history, as
well as implementing your article expiration rules from expire.ctl.