emergency problem/question

Wim Lewis wiml at omnigroup.com
Mon Feb 17 15:38:39 UTC 2003

On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 07:30  AM, Chuck wrote:
>  I need to completely delete several threads in a local
>  newsgroup that does not get distributed but can't quickly find a
>  'simple' way of doing it.

If you can find the message-IDs of the threads, you can issue "ctlinnd
cancel <messageid>" commands for each message. This won't create a
cancel message, but will cause the server to act as if it had received
one for that message-ID.

One quick&dirty way to get the message-IDs would be to telnet to the
nntp port, issue an XOVER command, and grep the results for the
offending subject line. Awk/perl and ctlinnd should do the rest.