emergency problem/question

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Feb 17 15:54:59 UTC 2003

On 17 Feb 2003, Chuck wrote:

>  I am sure by searching I can find this answer, and I normally do that
>  first, but this requires my immediate attention with no time to
>  research. I need to completely delete several threads in a local
>  newsgroup that does not get distributed but can't quickly find a
>  'simple' way of doing it. This is one of those threads that must be
>  eliminated quickly. Basically it's adult content in a kids only forum.

As Wim mentions, `ctlinnd cancel` should work.  However, if nnrpdcheckart
in inn.conf is false, it's possible that the Subject lines will still
appear in the article listing until the next expireover run (but the
bodies of the articles will definitely be gone).  If this is a problem,
you can run expireover manually (check the news user's crontab for the
appropriate invocation).

You may be able to use a posting filter in the future, if it's fairly easy
to programatically distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate
posts.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org