NNRPD and SSL

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sun Nov 16 21:30:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Jaleco wrote:

> As soon as you use an SSL connection and reply to an article it times
> out. I have tried using Pan (with the help with Stunnel) and Mozilla
> (both through the Stunnel and natively). In Pan after the timeout and
> you cancel the task you can then receive the article and the article was
> also e-mailed out.
>
> I can see that the newsfeed mailer is not being executed until after the
> timeout (or simply the command itself isn't being executed until the
> connection is closed).
>
> Replying to normal posts initiated by a news reader causes no problems,
> which leads me to think it's something in my code.

I'd agree that this is astonishingly strange...especially since it's only
in replying to some messages that you have this problem.  Is there
anything visibly different between the parent articles that cause the
problem and those that don't?

It doesn't sound like you're using the Perl/Python hooks at all, right?
(I suppose maybe that could somehow be related, but it's a bit of a
stretch anyway.)

Pretty weird.  Can you try issuing the commands by hand so we can see
exactly where it hangs?  Start with `openssl s_client -connect xxx:563`
(where xxx is your news server's hostname, or "localhost").  You can
ignore all the certificate stuff; it should end with a 200 welcome banner.

To post, just issue POST and then it will prompt for an article.  (To make
it a followup, just include a References header with the Message-ID of the
parent article.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org