NNRPD and SSL

Jaleco jaleco at westlink.net.au
Mon Nov 17 02:59:57 UTC 2003

Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

>On Sun, 16 Nov 2003, Jaleco wrote:
>

>I'd agree that this is astonishingly strange...especially since it's only
>in replying to some messages that you have this problem.  Is there
>anything visibly different between the parent articles that cause the
>problem and those that don't?
>
>It doesn't sound like you're using the Perl/Python hooks at all, right?
>(I suppose maybe that could somehow be related, but it's a bit of a
>stretch anyway.)
>
>Pretty weird.  Can you try issuing the commands by hand so we can see
>exactly where it hangs?  Start with `openssl s_client -connect xxx:563`
>(where xxx is your news server's hostname, or "localhost").  You can
>ignore all the certificate stuff; it should end with a 200 welcome banner.
>
>To post, just issue POST and then it will prompt for an article.  (To make
>it a followup, just include a References header with the Message-ID of the
>parent article.)

I got one of the administrators here to try with his News client using
SSL and it worked without a problem, no timeout, and the message was
posted to the newsgroup and e-mailed out.
So, I'm left thinking my client doesn't like the SSL Certificate, well,
basically, that my client is fubar'd.
I'm going to try another news client and possibly fiddle with Stunnel
(Pan doesn't support SSL)... if I still had no luck I'll do exactly as
you advised above.

Thank you for the advice.

Daniel