2.4.1 install

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Apr 15 02:00:04 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Wilson, Sue LCC wrote:

> I got everything from our old server that was under
> /spool/articles/usace/
>   all the news from our local groups.
>
> I edited these directories to=20
>
> 1) eliminate ones with no news in them and=20
> 2) to change some of the names from the format ... usace.xxxx_zzzz  to
> usace.xxxx-zzzz=20
> I also changed the active, expire.ctl to match

That's not going to be enough, because the newsgroup names are stored in
the articles themselves.

There's a bit of Perl in the INN 2.x FAQ for renaming newsgroups, you
should look there.

> As the news user I ran=20
>
> makehistory -b -f history.n -O -l 30000 -I=20

On a side note, I don't suppose you can configure your mail client not to
use Quoted Printable?  It comes through pretty oddly, and I was about
to ask you why you were using an argument to the -I flag.

> I tried reading the news=20
>
> NADA ....=20

What does "nada" mean exactly?  You can't connect?  You can connect, but
see no groups?  Or the groups have no headers?  Or you can see the headers
but not the articles themselves?

Suggest you read http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
when you have a moment.

>    expire.ctl did not like the format from the old server that I  =
> changed,
> the xxxx_zzz format

The above does not make sense to me.

--