groups marked as 'j' in active still propagated. Why?

Ilya Varlashkin ilya at samara.net
Sat Mar 20 13:02:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 05:20:44PM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ilya Varlashkin wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I've marked some groups on my feeder hosts as 'j' in the active file.
> > On the reader host I've deleted these groups from the active file.
> >
> > Feeder has !junk towards reader, but still I see 'Unwanted group..."
> > messages on the reader. If after seeing such message I find it by
> > message-id on the feeder, I see that it was sent only to that newsgroup,
> > so propagation was not due to cross-post.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> You want to go in the innfeeds file and mark the group as unwanted.
> Storing it in the junk group won't help. You could also mark it as 'x'
> instead of 'j', but what you really want is "@bad.group" in either the
> feed for your whole site to rejct at the door, or in the feed for the
> site which doesn't want the articles.

Sorry, it's probably silly question, but what is then purpose of 'j'
groups? I read in active man page that:

	j         Articles are filed in the junk group instead.
This is different than simply not listing
the group, since the article will still be accepted and can be propa-
gated to other sites that receive the "junk" group, and the "junk"
group can be made available to readers if wished.

As I understand this means that article will be propagated to sites
receiving 'junk' group and if I don't feed junk to a site, then posts
to this group shouldn't be propagated to that site either. Correct?

/Ilya