inn 2.4.1 corrupt active file

Bruce Rodger Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk
Sat Mar 27 18:04:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > one of these 4 systems has started crashing regularly, with bad active
> > file entries. The other 3 don't see this problem.
>
> > Notice the \340 in each line, and that sometimes 2 lines have become
> > appended.
>
> Once you fix them, does the problem keep coming back?

When I fixed the line that was causing inn to crash, it would continue
for a while - maybe days - and then crash.

I've had a closer look - there were around 100 lines in the active file which
had their high-bits set (cat -v active | grep M-)

I've now fixed all of these and restarted. I'll see if they recur.

> If so, the most likely problem is that you've got bad memory in that
> system, with a distant second possibility of a bad disk.  I'm pretty sure

Oh Dear - that machine is about 200 miles away....

Bruce.

--
Bruce Rodger                      |Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk  PGP key available
Network Manager, IT Services      |http://www.strath.ac.uk/IT/People/bruce.html