CNFS buffers out of date with overview???

Jeffrey M.Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Oct 18 22:00:39 UTC 2004

On Oct 18, 2004, at 11:02 AM, Christopher Jay Manders wrote:

> I have been having this issue where apparently my CNFS buffers expire
> before the overview and history are expired, causing articles/groups to
> *appear* to be available, but then subsequently not be there.

Well, this isn't broken, exactly.  I mean, the nature of CNFS is that
the articles stay around as long or short as necessary.  The default
configuration is to never expire CNFS articles per expire.ctl, but
instead just to wait until they roll over, and then at the next nightly
run, remove them from history and overview.

As far as I know, most clients deal with this in a reasonable fashion.
And after all, you're always going to have some degree of this problem,
since in the minutes between the newsreader checking for new articles
and the user deciding which to read, some articles may expire.

But, the "nnrpdcheckart" setting in inn.conf is probably what you're
looking for :-)

Be warned that it can make the action of checking for new articles
markedly slower for clients.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org