obtaining innfeed info

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Apr 21 09:35:04 UTC 2005

On Apr 20, 2005, at 11:12 PM, Todd Olson wrote:

> At 17:30 -0400 2005-04-20, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:
>
>> Can you not use `netstat`?
>
> Well, `netstat -a` is somewhat useful when the connection actually
> exists.
>
> And perhaps there are better ways to use netstat ... I'm not very
> experienced with netstat.
>
> But consider the case that innfeed is using an interface that is
> rejected by the peer.
> Then the connection is very very short, and it is hard to catch it
> with netstat -a
> to discover what is going on.

Ahh, I see your problem.  (In many areas of INN, it's difficult to
debug article transfer issues without being able to read the logs on
the far side.  This is another.)

> Thus I perceive a need for innfeed to be able to report what it is
> using
> perhaps even in the innfeed.stat report

Sure, this would be nice.  However, I suspect it would be nontrivial to
code (my guess is that the bindaddress setting takes effect a long way
from where the status reports are generated), I doubt this affects
people very often, and probably clarifying the documentation would be
nearly as useful.  So I imagine we'd take a patch for it if someone
supplied one, but I can't say I'm about to go code it up myself :-)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org