Berkeley DB questions

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 13 17:22:34 UTC 2007

> I see that Berkeley DB version is currently 4.6.18 and I wonder whether
> something better than:

> /m4/berkeleydb.m4
>         for version in BerkeleyDB.4.4 BerkeleyDB.4.3 BerkeleyDB.4.2 \
>                        BerkeleyDB.4.1 BerkeleyDB.4.0 \
>                        BerkeleyDB.3.3 BerkeleyDB.3.2 BerkeleyDB.3.1 \
>                        BerkeleyDB.3.0 BerkeleyDB ; do
> [...]
>         for version in db44 db43 db42 db41 db4 db3 db2 ; do

> could be done...

That would be nice.  I'm half-tempted to just make the user say where
their BerkeleyDB libraries are if they're not in the regular system
locations rather than looking in all these "likely" places.

> Moreover, in INSTALL, there is:

> =item B<--with-berkeleydb=PATH>
> Enables support for Berkeley DB (2.x through 4.2.x)

> Well, is it sure that all versions between 2.x and 4.2.52 are working
> fine?  And are there any news or feedback for 4.3.x, 4.4.x, 4.5.x and
> 4.6.x with INN?

I'm pretty sure it currently doesn't build with at least 4.6 and probably
4.5 as well.  There was a report of that a while back.

I've been tempted to rip out support for all versions older than 4.2 for
quite a while, as it would make the code much simpler and avoid a lot of
#ifdef mazes.

Since Heath stopped working on this code regularly, it's not been that
well-maintained, and due to its dependency on an external library, it
tends to bit-rot faster than other backends.