64-bit inn and bitmap weirdness

Christiaan den Besten chris at prolocation.net
Sat Jul 28 10:32:12 UTC 2007

Hi !

We have recently been starting to compile INN in 64-bit on our (newer)
64-bit Linux spool servers. Since some time I have noticed we see more and
more of  ..

Jul 28 12:26:24 spool nnrpd[753]: CNFS-sm: fudge size overflows bitmaps
@03147374313600000000082C271800000002@ st16:0x10f7ff3b000: 179120864
@03147374303800000000082BA59300000002@ st08:0x10f62147000: 1031605514
Jul 28 12:26:24 spool nnrpd[753]: CNFS-sm: fudge size overflows bitmaps
@03147374303800000000082BA59300000002@ st08:0x10f62147000: 1031605514

.. messages in our news.notice log.

It looks likes articles are being 'overwritten' after some period of time or
something like that. From what we have noticed it looks like postings arrive
'complete', but after some weeks they get broken, which would imply
something is writing to the spool file at the wrong place ... which might
explain the overflows.

Has anybody else noticed the above described scenario and found a fix for it
? :) The spools are running with 16 cnfs stores of 1.2Tb each ( with INN
2.4.4: 20070610-snapshot, but older versions from 2005 seem to behave the
same ... )

bye,
Chris