INN and SSL

Gabriele Conrad gabriele_conrad at web.de
Wed Oct 17 20:28:48 UTC 2007

Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 15:58 schrieb Todd Olson:

> For a couple years now we have been running a small INN server using
>
>    inn-2.4.2-STABLE-20050315
>
> We would now like to deploy reader SSL support.
>
> I could either
>     a) recompile this code with SSL support
> or
>     b) get and compile the latest code (either release, or stable)

do neither. I strongly recommend you to use stunnel, I don't think that
anything had been done about SSL in INN since my tries with our server
last year (please correct me if I am wrong). I had not much luck with the
built-in SSL-support of INN, neither with 2.4.2 nor with 2.4.3. It made
the server unusable for most clients except for the users who use Outlook
Express (really! Isn't this annoying?). So spare you the pain and use
stunnel.

Best regards,

Gabi