Readers.conf setup.

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Oct 24 21:54:59 UTC 2007

Hi Gert,

> Can any one help me on make it so I have a good setup in my readers.cof for
> users.
> And I can have INN to work for 3-4 kind of access and auth setup.

Did you look at the manpage ?

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/readers.conf.html

I will give you some quick hints.  There are not optimal and you should
tweak them according to your needs.

As for the active file, its whole contents is currently sent, if accessible.
You cannot select the groups you can send in reply to a "list active" command.

> 1.
> Localhost = the mashine where INN runs on

You can use localaddress: but also something like:

auth "localhost" {
        hosts: "localhost, 127.0.0.1, stdin, news.serveur.fr"
        key: "local"
        default: "<localhost>"
}

access "localhost" {
        users: "<localhost>"
        key: "local"
        newsgroups: "*"
        access: RPA
}

> 2.
> Local mashines = my other mashines (kofobbs.net (WANs) + *.home (LANs)

auth "ecp" {
        hosts: "*.kofobbs.net,*.home"
        key: "machines"
        default: <LOCAL>"
}

access "ecp" {
        newsgroups: "*"
        key: "machines"
        access: RPA
}

> 3.
> Access for read-only of free active list

auth "ro" {
        hosts: "*"
        default: <FREE>"
}

access "ro" {
        newsgroups: "*"
        access: R
}

> 4.
> User by password file newusers (pwd file with users name | crypted pwd)

auth "users" {
        hosts: "*"
        key: "pwd"
        auth: "ckpasswd -f /etc/news/users"
}

access "users" {
        key: "pwd"
        newsgroups: "*"
        access: RPA
}

> There have to be setup more for auth and acces, and this why I neeed help on
> hte best setup in readers.conf

Note that it is the last matching auth group which is used.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« La grippe, ça dure huit jours si on la soigne et une semaine
  si on ne fait rien. » (Raymond Devos)