innfeed, bindaddress, force-ipv4, ipv6

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Wed Apr 9 15:18:34 UTC 2008

Hi Miquel,

>>* Marco d'Itri added a force-ipv4 peer configuration option for innfeed that,
>>if set, tells innfeed to never attempt an IPv6 connection to that host.
>
> FYI, the "innfeed bindaddress per peer" patch I sent also allows
> you to do that.. if you set "bindaddress: any" on a peer then
> innfeed will only use IPv4 connections for that peer, and if you
> set "bindaddress6: any" then innfeed will only use IPv6 for that peer.

Sure.  However, force-ipv4 was added in August 2006 to STABLE (but never yet
officially released).  Is it wise to remove this parameter from STABLE
and to put instead this new bindaddress per peer parameter?

> If none of the IPv6 addresses work, do fall
> back to IPv4. Next, make innfeed reckognize "bindaddress: none"
> and "bindaddress6: none" config settings instead of yet another
> config item like force-ipv4 / force-ipv6.

It is true that it is better to use bindaddress instead of force-ipvX.
It is used only at one place in innfeed/host.c:

    hints.ai_family = host->params->forceIPv4 ? PF_INET : NETWORK_AF_HINT;

But I do not know what innfeed's behaviour with "bindaddress: none"
and "bindaddress6: none" at the same time would give.  It should
perhaps be forbidden to do that.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« -- Poussez pas derrière !