innfeed, bindaddress, force-ipv4, ipv6

"Miquel van Smoorenburg" list-inn-workers at news.cistron.nl
Wed Apr 9 16:01:58 UTC 2008

In article <64D9EAF56C934931BCA4BD1107D7EB7D at Iulius>,
Julien ÉLIE  <julien at trigofacile.com> wrote:
>Hi Miquel,
>
>>>* Marco d'Itri added a force-ipv4 peer configuration option for innfeed that,
>>>if set, tells innfeed to never attempt an IPv6 connection to that host.
>>
>> FYI, the "innfeed bindaddress per peer" patch I sent also allows
>> you to do that.. if you set "bindaddress: any" on a peer then
>> innfeed will only use IPv4 connections for that peer, and if you
>> set "bindaddress6: any" then innfeed will only use IPv6 for that peer.
>
>Sure.  However, force-ipv4 was added in August 2006 to STABLE (but never yet
>officially released).  Is it wise to remove this parameter from STABLE
>and to put instead this new bindaddress per peer parameter?

Ah, OK.

>> If none of the IPv6 addresses work, do fall
>> back to IPv4. Next, make innfeed reckognize "bindaddress: none"
>> and "bindaddress6: none" config settings instead of yet another
>> config item like force-ipv4 / force-ipv6.
>
>It is true that it is better to use bindaddress instead of force-ipvX.
>It is used only at one place in innfeed/host.c:
>
>    hints.ai_family = host->params->forceIPv4 ? PF_INET : NETWORK_AF_HINT;
>
>But I do not know what innfeed's behaviour with "bindaddress: none"
>and "bindaddress6: none" at the same time would give.  It should
>perhaps be forbidden to do that.

I've updated my "innfeed bindaddress per peer" patch to do exactly
that. It now behaves as I described. And it doesn't let you
set bindaddress and bindaddress6 to 'none' simultaneously.

It compiles, but I haven't tested it yet - will do that tomorrow or so.

BTW, my old patch was wrong. With current inn you can set bindaddress6
and ipv4 will still work, my patch broke that.

Mike.
Reply to the list or to "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels at cistron.nl>