pullnews - bugfix, wishlist, new features

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun May 25 09:00:09 UTC 2008

Hi Geraint,

(If you release a new version with some fixes after this mail, could you please
include this patch to your file:
    http://iulius.dinauz.org/vrac/pullnews-begin-diff
I added credits for you and I also proofread and fixed the script usage).

> I've been adding features to INN's pullnews for a few years, and have a
> much-improved (for my needs!) version which is probably a little overkill
> for the average user, so thought I'd offer it - initially - to this more
> venerable audience in the hope of feeding this back into INN itself.

Many thanks!

I wonder whether contrib/backupfeed could also be integrated in your pullnews
(as said in TODO).  Could you please have a look at
    http://inn.eyrie.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/trunk/contrib/backupfeed.in
to see if there are things to add to pullnews?

Maybe we will then drop contrib/backupfeed because pullnews seems to do the
same thing in a far better way.

> I have fixed a long-standing but very minor bug in the -g option, done the
> items from the to-do list, removed the antiquated sub-package, and added a
> raft of new features.

That's great!

As for the antiquated sub-package, I removed it last month in CURRENT.
The last pullnews version is there:

    http://inn.eyrie.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/trunk/frontends/pullnews.in

Note that a mention of the right library is put:  "use Net::NNTP 2.18".

You should also fix these two issues:

 * you removed support for -x (add Xref:) while still mentioning it in
   the usage line.  Is there a reason for it?
   Anyway, it is easy to add again:
       http://inn.eyrie.org/viewcvs/trunk/frontends/pullnews.in?r1=6781&r2=6866

 * some "open" are broken!  For instance, it is:
     -open FILE, "<$groupFile"  || die "can't open group file $groupFile\n" ;
     +open(FILE, "<$groupFile") || die "can't open group file $groupFile\n" ;
   otherwise, it does not work well...

It would also be great to use "perl -w".  There are a few warnings when I run
the script.  Here are fixes for some of them:

-       $passwd{$sname} = [ $3, $4 ] if (defined($3) && $3 ne "");
+       $passwd{$sname} = [ $3, $4 ] if ($3 ne "");

and

-    my $ltotal ;
-    my $reftotal ;
-    my $rejtotal ;
-
+    my $ltotal = 0;
+    my $reftotal = 0;
+    my $rejtotal = 0;

> Hope this helps you, and - if you test - that it goes well.

I have run it with my .pullnews and it worked fine.
Lots of thanks again for having shared your pullnews.

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Ne crains pas d'avancer lentement, crains seulement de t'arrêter. » (proverbe chinois)