pullnews - bugfix, wishlist, new features

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sun May 25 15:19:00 UTC 2008

Hi Geraint,

>> I wonder whether contrib/backupfeed could also be integrated in your pullnews
>> (as said in TODO).  Could you please have a look at
>>     http://inn.eyrie.org/viewcvs/*checkout*/trunk/contrib/backupfeed.in
>> to see if there are things to add to pullnews?
>
> Will do.  Can't find the TODO though - URL?

It is the global file "TODO" (which is at the root of any snapshot).
Here is its HTML version:

    http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/todo.html

        * frontends/pullnews and contrib/backupfeed solve the same problem;
          the best ideas of both should be unified into one script.
          frontends/nntpget also does the same thing and should also be included.

I think that backupfeed is easy to deal with.  It will require some more work
with nntpget (a C script, man page here:  <http://www.digipedia.pl/man/nntpget.1.html>).

>>  * some "open" are broken!
>
> Done.  Well spotted.

I had seen them only thanks to "perl warnings" (I had a weird message for flock
and it took time to see that the problem came from "open" -- note that "or"
works fine; it is "||" which has a different behaviour there).

>> It would also be great to use "perl -w".  There are a few warnings when I run
>> the script.  Here are fixes for some of them:
>
> Done.  Also quite a few of my own warnings appeared, now fixed.

Thanks.
It works, indeed, very fine.

> Second attempt uploaded.

It looks very good.
Only a little typo here:

+        printf LOG "\n%d article%s were offered to server on $localServer\n",

-> "article%s offered" with the right "were/was", as it is used just after:

+        printf LOG "%d article%s accepted\n",
+            $ltotal, ($ltotal != 1 ? "s were" : " was")

(or you can also drop "were/was" everywhere if you prefer -- I do not mind)

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Quand on demande aux gens d'observer le silence, au lieu de l'observer
  comme on observe une éclipse de lune, ils l'écoutent ! » (Raymond Devos)