Questions about installation from source

Julien ÉLIE julien at trigofacile.com
Sat Jun 16 10:17:16 UTC 2012

Hi Martin,

> I am going to install INN from source in debian squeeze
> is it just a case of
>
> ./configure --with-perl
>
>   make
>
> make install
>
> as root?

Yes, it should work.  Full details are available in INSTALL:
     http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/install.html

Quick install guide:
     http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/inn/docs/checklist.html

> ------------------------------------
> but why does news not have home dir?
>
> root at slug:~# adduser --group --home /usr/local/news news
> adduser: The group `news' already exists.
> root at slug:~# su - news
> No directory, logging in with HOME=/
> $

I bet it is the default Debian installation.

I for one added a default home directory for the news user:

12:11 root at trigo /home/iulius# grep ^news /etc/passwd

> finally how to open port 563
>
> somthing like
>
> edit  /etc/init.d/inn2 init

nnrpd will open it for you when it starts.
You just need to make sure no firewalling (like iptables) prevents this
port from being accessed from outside.

> script to add:
>       su news -c '<pathbin>/nnrpd -D -p 563 -S'
>
> in the start section, where <pathbin> is the path to nnrpd, and:
>       su news -c 'killall nnrpd'
>
> not sure

It is meant to be in your /etc/init.d/inn2 script.
An example is provided in the INN tarball (contrib/sample.init.script).

You are not sure about what exactly?

--
Julien ÉLIE

« Pour célébrer ce jour heureux, buvons un coup, buvons-en deux. »
   (Aristophane)