Migration issue?

Dave Shariff Yadallee - System Administrator a.k.a. The Root of the Problem root at doctor.nl2k.ab.ca
Thu Jul 21 20:49:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:25:43PM +0200, Julien ??LIE wrote:
> Hi The Doctor,
>
> >> When I run the command
> >>
> >> su -m news -c '/usr/local/news/bin/<command>'  this works
> >> better than what the deafult port does.
> >
> >> Who is in charge of the FreeBSD port?
>
> Looks like you could contact Johan van Selst (aka "johans"):
>      https://www.freshports.org/news/inn/
>

> > When I had to update inn on a daily basis in BSD/OS
> >
> > I had to use
> >
> > ctlinnd shutdown update ; pskill rc.news ; pskill innwatch ; pskill ovdb ; pskill nnrpd ; pskill cnfsstat ; pskill innfeed ; gmake update ;
>
> Why don't you just run "rc.news stop" as the news user?
> You shouldn't have to kill innwatch, cnfsstat, innfeed, etc. (only nnrpd
> if run in daemon mode)
>

> > The reason why I bring up the postrgres start is that
> > for postgres to start even in FreeBSD su -m <user> -c '<command>'
> > is the proper way to start said service dispite the port .
>
> Don't you use BerkeleyDB database with ovdb?
>

> > ctlinnd: No such site
> > [: : bad number
> > [: : bad number
>
> Isn't there a syntax problem in your newsfeeds file?
> No error mentioned by "inncheck -a --pedantic"?

Looks like I need to get on a few FreeBSD porting committees!

The problem is that the start script of off.

It should be similar to the BSDI script

su -m - c new new -c '/path/to/rc.news'  .

I would not be surprised if other BSD Unix system suffer from the same issue.

I no longer see the bad number error mentioned.
> --
> Julien ?LIE
>
> ? ? Tu n'as rien remarqu? d'?trange chez cet Arverne ?
>    ? Oui, son accent. ? (Ast?rix)

For effective Internet Etiquette and communications read
http://catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html, http://idallen.com/topposting.html
& http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html