Stop rejection due to bad dates

Jeffery Small jefferysmall at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 21:24:24 UTC 2020

Julien ÉLIE wrote:
> You should make sure the rejection is really caused by that field.
> The reason is written in your news log files.
>
> As a matter of fact, INN rejects articles posted 24h in the future, as
> required by standards.  It does not reject an article posted 5h in the
> future

Well, that's just it.  There are no errors reported in the inn2 logs.
My errlog and news.err files are always empty and news file just
has normal entries for input actually posted.

I've always assumed that the mailagent errors were the result of
an actual inn2 post that was rejected and never understood why
error logging wasn't happening, but maybe it is all internal to
mailagent and the article is never attempted to be posted at all.
I'll try to track this posting action down in the source code and see
just what is going on.

Russ Allbery wrote:
> When I was gating dodgy email into Usenet groups, I sometimes
> found it easier to just rename the Date header to X-Original-Date
> in the preprocessing step rather than messing with it.  That way
> the original data is there if you care, but you don't have to do a
> lot of work.

Great idea.

Thank you both for the excellent feedback.  I'll dig deeper and see
what else I can discover.

Regards,
--
Jeff