RPSL automation

Mr. James W. Laferriere babydr at baby-dragons.com
Sun May 17 20:07:01 UTC 2009

 	Hello Nick ,

On Sun, 17 May 2009, Nick Hilliard wrote:
>> I am not happy with the removal of the gated items , Reasoning ...
>> MaxTNT's (older os's I admit) use Gated .
>> NextHop may still be interested in those tools being available , Not
>> sure tho .
>> I use gated for some of it's more esoteric items it provides .
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> My understanding is that the gated extensions to RtConfig haven't compiled
> since 2003; they've been commented out since 4.8.0.  Also, Lucent dropped all
> support for Max TNTs in, what, early 2004 or something?   Maybe 2003, or
> maybe that was just EoS.  Anyway, pretty much everything ascend related was
> dropped on the floor with a resounding crash at around that time. Gated
> itself hasn't compiled in the wild since around that time too, and given that
> it was closed source, no-one has done anything with it for many years.
 	Thank you for responding .
 	I am aware that the last time any of that compiled cle^H^H^H at all was
some time ago .
 	Yes ,  Lucent sure did drop that line like a hot potato .  Tho many
people still use the TNT's today ,  to my knowledge usually only in the Voip
world .
 	I still have the publicly released sources (ie: 3.0.3 I beleive) ,
Gated BECAME closed source ,  Now NextHop holds its license ,  It used to be
held by Merit .

> Getting f_gated to compile isn't terribly difficult. However, ensuring that
> it actually produces functional output is another thing entirely.  I
> certainly don't have anything to test it against; nor do I have the time to
> test it.  Can you support it?
 	At the moment I do not have the time to .  But maybe sometime after
first of Sept. this year I may have the time necessary to dig into it .
 	I hope I will have the time with out starving or freezing while looking
into the problem .  I'll see .

 		Twyl ,  JimL