How can i generate the AS path from IRR data same as found in BGP

Doug Montgomery dougm at nist.gov
Fri Jan 1 16:09:10 UTC 2010

Akmal,

We have looked at this a bit recently.  You might find some of the
papers and presentations below of interest.

http://www.antd.nist.gov/bgp_security/

We have tried to look at the completeness and consistency of RIR and IRR
data sets and as part of that evaluation compared the data to BGP trace
data.

Note that our focus was preliminarily on anomaly detection WRT route
origination.   We did not look at other aspects of path validation.

dougm

Akmal Shahbaz wrote:
> Thanx Randy for your reply.
>
>>> How similar do you think the paths would be from BGP and IRR data?
>> they are both ordered non-null sets of positive numbers drawn from the
>> range 1..32k
>
> so that means they can't be the same..
>    Due to IRR consistency issues ?? or why?
>
> I have reviewed some of the previous work like Nemecis,RIPE RRCC,Univ.of Roma Analysis of RIR.What i have found is most of the work is on evaluating the consistency of IRR's.There are some other works on using IRR along with BGP and traceroute's to generate the topology of internet.
>
> AS i am first year phd student at Seoul National University,Korea and working on BGP Security.For that i want to evaluate how i can use IRR data?Currently i think most of the people (if they use ) IRR data is to generate router configuration files.What are other uses of this data? ofcourse other than the usual looking up contact information etc..
>
> Thank you.
>
> Akmal

| Doug Montgomery            Mgr. Internet & Scalable Systems Research |
| Advanced Network Technologies Division     http://www.antd.nist.gov/ |
| National Institute of Standards & Technology  Email:  dougm at nist.gov |
| 100 Bureau Drive                              Voice: +1-301-975-3630 |
| Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8920 USA               Fax:   +1-301-975-6238 |